Charles Pollock for Bernhardt Design

Tuesday 17 July 2012

CP Lounge chair by Charles Pollock for Bernhardt Design
Charles Pollock, designer of the Pollock Chair released by Florence Knoll back in 1965, has teamed up with American brand Bernhardt Design to create the CP Lounge Chair - his first new product in America in 47 years.

Jerry Helling, president of Bernhardt Design, says of Pollock's work: "I've always been fascinated by Charles Pollock. He created such a significant product, yet very little has ever been published about him. Given our fascination with mid-century American designers, this lack of information seemed remarkable to me."

Charles Polloch and Jerry Helling

Helling started to look for Pollock and in late 2010 discovered his address and sent him a letter; Pollock was immediately interested and scheduled a meeting. "When I started my search to find Charles, I simply wanted to meet him and hear his story. I didn't dream at the time that he would be willing and excited to design a new product after all these years," says Helling.